Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Story Finally Ends

Final Blog Post -- End Words Of My Journey

So I didn't keep up with writing this thing.. To be honest, blogs are a bit tedious and I always found myself too busy or at a loss for what to say. But here's a final blog post answering a few questions honestly about my study abroad experience.

1. Have you changed as a person after studying abroad?
  Oh absolutely. My philosophy on life changed entirely after studying abroad. Living in Ireland and travelling across Europe taught me a lot about interacting with other people, because I found myself in situations where people of different cultures, and people who spoke languages other than English, were part of my daily life. A great example of this is the month I spent living in Denmark. Many Danish people my age speak English, but it was not necessarily fluent. It was impossible to tell that I was not a Danish speaker myself, so many people would speak to me in Danish and I was often confused. Being polite, patient, and culturally sensitive are three very big skills I learned while studying abroad. Apart from that, the Irish mentality of "it'll happen" really had a big effect on me. Stress used to really bog me down, both mentally and physically. I got sick, I got headaches, I was anxious and irritable because of stress in my life. But now, because the Irish don't let stress or frustrating events bog them down, I don't either. The changes in myself were definitely positive.

2. What self-discovery surprised you?
    How social I was! I am typically an extrovert so being outgoing was not the shock, but I really surprised myself with how easily I got along with people from other countries and backgrounds. I made a lot of life-long friends in Ireland, and I really amazed myself with how well I adjusted to the new culture and opened myself up to meeting new people.

3. If you took courses in your major; how has studying abroad impacted your understanding of your major?
    Unfortunately, I did not take any classes in my major in Ireland, but since the classes there are mostly lecture based with intensive self-teaching, I discovered a lot about how I learn and understand academic subjects.

4. Single greatest benefit of studying abroad?
    Uh... can I say all of them? The friends, the new cultures, all of the wonderful experiences and opportunities... Studying abroad in general is its own benefit. I would not trade my experience abroad for all the world.

5. How did your life goals change?
   Well I definitely have plans to go back to Ireland and Europe in general, if not to live permanently then at least for an extended stay. I love it overseas, and I have much more traveling ahead of me while I am still young and capable of it. I think before studying abroad I would not have been as excited or as determined to travel. It was a dream I had always had, but not one I considered attainable until I studied abroad in college.

6. What was your favorite experience?
   Though I got to travel all over and see much of Ireland and Europe, my favorite thing was staying in Carlow and going to the traditional band that played in Teach Dolmain, an old-fashioned pub, every Thursday. I got to make many friends with Carlow natives and really get deeply involved with traditional Irish culture. Not to mention the music was always fantastic!

7. Any advice for future participants?
   Yes. Don't sweat it, enjoy yourself! It's easy to ruin the trip for yourself by worrying about Skype dates, families, friends back home... remember, you're the one traveling! Your friends and family will be happy to Skype or talk on YOUR time, so enjoy yourself because time flies by very, very quickly. Don't waste it by getting "stuck" back home, you'll miss out on much more than you gain.

8. Would you study abroad again? Why?
   Oh, in a heartbeat. There is nothing quite like immersing yourself in another culture for a while... or even for a whole year, like I did. You're guaranteed to find something you love about it, and something you love about yourself too. It's a unique experience. Vacations are nice, but studying abroad allows you to really live in a new place and become a native yourself. That isn't something you get with week-long trips or guided tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment